The earliest regional map appears to be the manuscript Mercer's Map (#1753.1) and there are a few manuscript maps of Fort Duquesne built 1754-55, see the 1750s pages for the existing maps. This map is interesting for the variety of street grids shown as the city expands outward. The map folds into a 6.25 x 4 inch paper cover and is undated but believed to date circa 1915-20. It was intended to show the location of their gas stations. This print appears on pages 112-113 of a Fortune Magazine from that year. The Historic Pittsburgh project has maps from the 1872 G. Hopkins Pittsburgh atlas and subsequent editions, as well as other maps and views of the city and some books that show maps. Hopkins and a similar copy appeared in the Hopkins' Atlas of the Cities of Pittsburgh, Allegheny, and the Adjoining Boroughs, 1872 (see Historic Pittsburgh ). Entered according to Act of Congress in the year 1871... This small 2.5 x 8 inch vignette appears on an atlas map showing routes of the Panhandle Railroad and otherwise dated to 1875 or a little later. The old Point bridges are shown and Allegheny City is part of Pittsburgh. ONE WAY STREETS AND PARKING REGULATIONS PITTSBURGH, PA. This is an undated Gulf road map of Pittsburgh with no printer identified and in the form of a mailer. 1, 1919", so the map dates either 1918 or early 1919. The pages were an ad from the Union Trust Company celebrating its 50th anniversary; the accompanying 1889 print is shown above.
Sanborn real estate maps dating from 1867 to near the present can be found on some websites; the earliest seen for Pittsburgh dates to the 1880s. The inset at top left shows the cutoff section along the Monongahela; the second inset shows a section along the Allegheny cut off at the top. Although dated 1871 along the bottom, this view is later than the Krebs one of similar date above as two bridges are now shown at the point. The cover is similar to other Gulf 1918 road maps, so that dating is used here. A hefty book titled Pittsburgh The Story of an American City by Stefan Lorant was published in 1964 with subsequent printings. When this map was made, the North Side (Allegheny) and South Side had not yet been incorporated into the city. A large print of this is not listed in Stout or Reps, and Krebs may have altered an earlier view to produce this little one which is similar but not the same. Five Gulf stations are listed for Pittsburgh and two for Philadelphia. Again the Smithfield Street bridge is to the right and the railroad bridge at the center is now gone. LEWIS' PITTSBURGH STREET & TROLLY GUIDE, pocket directory... It also appeared in Poor Roger, 1760, and in Father Abraham's Almanac, 1761. The small fort 3) on the map probably refers to Fort Prince George, constructed by a small force of Virginians under command of Captain William Trent in 1754, while 2) refers to the French Fort Duquesne. PLAN OF FORT PITT and parts adjacent with both rivers. It was destroyed the same year by the French who built Fort Duquesne. An attractive map with a fancy grapevine border and small illustrations of buildings along the right edge; also an anonymous map with no printer or source identified.
On December 1, 1758, the ruins of Fort Duquesne were officially renamed and from then on the Forks of the Ohio was called Pittsburgh. It shows the downtown with portions of the north (Allegheny City) and south side; insets of the neighborhoods of Lawrenceville and Manchester are along the left edge.
It was again abandoned when the new Fort Fayette was constructed in 1791-92. "Crawfd" is undoubtedly Colonel William Crawford for whom Crawford County in Pennsylvania is named. This little woodcut from a school geography book is one of the earliest views of Pittsburgh as a developing industrial center with burgeoning river traffic. Although dated 1855, this map appeared in an 1859 edition of Colton's General Atlas, the same map appeared in several editions. It is printed on poor paper and this copy has some condition problems; apparently originally folded for a book or report.
This newer fort was used by General Anthony Wayne during the Indian wars in the Northwest Territory. He was a long time friend of Washington who survived the French & Indian War, Pontiac's Rebellion, and the Revolution, only to be burned at the stake in 1782 while leading an expedition into Ohio. The covered bridges over the rivers can be seen in the distance. This book has about 500 pages and is really a travelers guide with an accompanying map of Pennsylvania. Two city plans appear on the same page, only Pittsburgh is shown here colored by ward, showing streets, main buildings, railroads, stations etc.
The map identifies several sites as given by the number key at the bottom, and is accompanied by a short article with extracts from the letters of General Forbes. The 1842 courthouse is prominent although the artist has twisted it to display the front.
An untitled version appeared in the London Magazine of January 1759.
(John Rocque's Plans) Before he died in 1762 John Rocque prepared A Set of Plans and Forts in America. This work provided the plans of all the frontier forts Rocque could lay hands on.